At the Front Porch Animal Clinic in Greeley, CO, we are strong advocates of an animal health care philosophy known as Pet Wellness Care. It’s a veterinary approach that stresses the importance of treating the whole animal and is designed to keep your pet active and healthy throughout every stage of their life. It involves the holistic care of both the body and the mind through diagnostic testing, lifestyle modification, and preventive animal health care measures. It emphasizes preventing disease and disability before they occur and promoting a healthy lifestyle to keep your pet vigorous and active as they age. We’ll partner with you to develop a pet wellness program individualized for your pet based on their breed, age, and physical condition.
What Is Pet Wellness Care?
An effective pet wellness program is designed to discover the signs of disease or congenital defects so that early treatment can be applied before serious damage occurs and to promote good health in general. It includes the following procedures.
- Annual Wellness Exams – Your pet should have a complete physical exam at least once a year. Your vet will assess your pet’s condition inside and out and test their blood pressure and respiration.
- Diagnostic Testing – We maintain a modern diagnostic laboratory for testing blood, urine, and saliva samples to discover indications of disease or other issues that might not be detectable during a wellness exam.
- Dental Examination – Your pet’s oral health is important to their overall physical fitness. Periodontal disease is very common in dogs and cats, and the accompanying infections can cause tooth loss, swollen gums, and mouth pain, as well as damage to internal organs. A complete dental exam and a thorough teeth cleaning is the best way to prevent oral disease.
- Spay And Neuter – Having your pet spayed or neutered will prevent unwanted litter, and also alleviate undesirable behaviors such as urinating in the house to mark their territory and the crying and howling associated with the heat cycle.
- Vaccinations – The core pet vaccinations will protect your pet from the most common diseases.
Other important elements of pet wellness care include good diet and nutrition, weight management, and intestinal parasite control. Your vet will also advise you on steps you can take at home to promote wellness in your pet.
To get your pet started on their own personal Pet Wellness Program, contact the Front Porch Animal Clinic in Greeley, CO, and schedule an appointment.